Veronica Bowers is one of Allen James' top hair stylists. Her years of experience have made her an expert at providing her clients awesome salon-finished hair. Now she has shared some of her favorite take-home tips to help you recreate your salon look in the convenience of your own home.
Veronica's Favorite Styling Products & Tools
As we all know what may work for one hair type will not do as good of a job on another hair type. Here is a comprehensive list of Veronica's favorite products that will manage and maintain all hair types including fine, thick, and coarse hair.
For Fine Hair
- Kevin Murphy FULL.AGAIN thickening lotion
- Kevin Murphy ANTI.GRAVITY.SPRAY weightless volume spray
- Kevin Murphy DAMAGE.MANAGER instant heat sheilding spray
For Thick, Coarse Hair
- -Kevin Murphy SMOOTH.AGAIN anti-frizz treatment
- -Kevin Murphy ANTI.GRAVITY.SPRAY weightless volume spray
- -Kevin Murphy DAMAGE.MANAGER instant heat sheilding spray
Finishing Products for All Hair Types
- Kevin Murphy EASY.RIDER anti-frizz creme
- Kevin Murphy SHIMMER.SHINE reparing shine mist.
- Kevin Murphy SESSION.SPRAY strong hold finnishing spray
Tools for All Hair Types
- Boar Bristle Round Brush
- Hair Dryer
- Hair Clip
- Velcro Rollers (optional)
The Boar Bristle Brush is an excellent choice, as it helps to smooth down the cuticle which reduces frizz and creates shine. The Velcro Rollers are an added tool to help create more, longer-lasting volume at the roots. In this case, they aren't used for curls.
Once hair has been washed and towel dried, comb it out according to your part line for a great starting point.
- Apply the appropriate styling lotion to your hair according to your type and begin blow-drying with a round brush holding it approximately 2-3 inches away from the brush as not to burn the hair. It always helps to begin in the front in order to maintain control of the way in which your style will lay.
- Once the roots are about 80% dry, lightly mist the Kevin Murphy ANTI.GRAVITY weightless volume spray in at the root around the crown area and continue on with your round brush and hair dryer. (Helpful tip: should you have some areas that seem over-volumized, don't fuss and leave them alone to let them settle and move onto your next section.
- Once the front is dry, secure the hair around your occipital with the clip so you can focus on drying the hair in your nape area.
- Once the front and nape are dry, you can drop down a section of hair that has been clipped up using horizontal rows and continue round brushing until there are no more sections to complete. At this point or while each section is still hot, you can roll in your Velcro Rollers to create more volume if desired. Once cooled remove rollers and allow hair to settle into the style.
The key to a gorgeous blowout is the finishing products. We are crazy about combining the Kevin Murphy EASY.RIDER Anti-Frizz Creme with the Kevin Murphy SHIMMER.SHINE repairing shine mist.
- Combine both products in your hand by using a dime sized dab of the EASY.RIDER followed by 1 to 2 sprays of the SHIMMER.SHINE. Work them together in your hands and run through the hair starting in the most untamed spots first. This dynamic duo helps to create a flexible hold and shine while it tames frizz and fly-aways.
- Lastly if you love hair spray, spray away! I prefer to use the Kevin Murphy SESSION.SPRAY. as this strong hold spray can be lightly misted for a little flexibilty or it can be layered on for a much stronger hold that will last all day.